Golden West College will give peace a chance on Friday when it hosts its 10th annual Peace Conference. The theme will be “Regenerative Peace: Sustaining Our Work, Communities, Environment and Selves in Service.”
The conference will be held in the Student Center from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Admission is $25 pre-registration for the general public and $40 at the door. Admission is free for students in the Coast Community College District (GWC, Orange Coast College and Coastline Community College) who pre-register, otherwise students will pay $40 at the door.
The keynote speaker will be Gene Baur, wh is the co-founder and president of the Farm Sanctuary-America’s leading farm animal protection organization. Baur has been hailed as “the conscience of the food movement” by Time magazine.
For 30 years he has traveled extensively, campaigning to raise awareness about the abuses of industrialized factory farming and our cheap food system. His latest book is “Living the Farm Sanctuary Life: The Ultimate Guide to Eating Mindfully, Living Longer, and Feeling Better Every Day.”
In 2015, Baur was granted an associate appointment in Health, Behavior, and Society at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. In this position, he focused on implementing courses related to evidence-based work on diet and farming as it aligns to Farm Sanctuary’s goals of shedding light on factory farming’s threat to public health, the environment, and animal welfare.
Twenty other speakers are also scheduled. Topics to be covered at the conference will include:
• How does climate change affect our lives?
• What does human progress look like in the 21st century?
• Can there be a balance among the economy, the environment and human rights?
• If technology allows us to be closer than ever before, why do we have a chronic sense of disconnect?
• What is the role of “Food Democracy” and food security in peace-building?
• How can we rebuild a culture of trust, empathy and compassion?
To register or get updates on the event, go to www.goldenwestcollege.edu/peace .